Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Health and Finance Specialist - Nigeria in Nigeria
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Health Finance Specialist to support the HFG project with the International Health Division in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, the HFG project is currently working with the Government of Nigeria (GON) to support sustainability and country ownership of Nigeria’s HIV/AIDS and TB programs. HFG seeks to engage a Health Finance Specialist to provide health financing technical support and coordinate activities of the field staff working in USAID’s PEPFAR priority states: Lagos, Cross Rivers, Rivers and Sokoto and Bauchi States.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical contribution towards design and implementation of HFG Nigeria health financing technical assistance to strengthen priority state health financing planning and implementation in conjunction with the technical leads.
- Provide technical support towards successful implementation of all HFG Nigeria health financing activities at the state level in partnership with state program coordinators in five priority states.
- Represent HFG Nigeria at health financing meetings/events and actively participate in health financing Technical Working Groups and other relevant technical groups.
- Liaise with identified stakeholders on health financing issues on behalf of HFG Nigeria.
- Track compliance with instituted quality assurance measures throughout the design, implementation and evaluation of all HFG health financing activities.
- Write detailed and high quality monthly and quarterly health financing reports that meet both HFG and USAID monitoring and evaluation standards.
- Document health financing success stories/lessons learned and produce publishable health financing materials including policy briefs and peer-reviewed articles.
- Work with technical leads to coordinate field activities to ensure timely implementation of planned activities of HFG Nigeria without compromising quality and efficiency.
- Carry out other activities as requested by technical leads.
Preferred Skills and Prerequisites
- Knowledge of health system strengthening policies and procedures, particularly in health financing and reform.
- Excellent analytical, strategic and innovative reasoning to facilitate processes and interventions to achieve objectives.
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop work plans, concept notes and other strategic technical documents.
- Ability to establish good working relationships as part of a team and maintain a high standard of personal conduct.
Ability to integrate, interact and function effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
Demonstrated ability to ensure that individuals and teams adhere to the highest standards of quality, relevance and timeliness.
- Prior experience working in the development sector; Knowledge of US Government development assistance policy and USAID operational procedures is desirable.
- High level of computer proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications.
- 2 to 3 years of progressive experience in health systems strengthening.
- Masters in Public Health/Health Economics/Health Financing and Policy or other related courses.
- 6+ years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.