Abt Associates Finance Assistant 8 - SHOPS Plus, Abuja in Nigeria
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates seeks a Finance Assistant to support a family planning project under SHOPS Plus. SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The project seeks to harness the full potential of the private sector and catalyze public-private engagement to improve health outcomes in TB, family planning, HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, and other health areas. In Nigeria, SHOPS Plus will capacitate public and private providers to scale up family planning, especially Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) in FCT and Plateau States.
Under the supervision of the Finance & Admin Director , The Finance Assistant will be responsible for financial administration of project management office in Abuja. Responsibilities are as follow:
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that prior authorization is obtained before any payment.
- Examine all financial documents for payment (i.e. purchase requests, purchase orders, invoices and receipts) are checked for completeness, accuracy and validity of financial data, including accounting classification and computations.
- Where applicable Monitor all bank accounts transactions, review and reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Record financial transactions and prepare monthly report
- Ensure on-time, accurate data entry, completing the journal entries for non-routine expenses as necessary.
- Provide routine financial statements and reports
- Manage cash flow, including funds transfers from donor and transfer to the field
- Oversee the issuance and collection of project contractors, consultants and staff travel advances, reconciling advance accounts each month. Follow up on outstanding advances which have not been liquidated in the timeframe prescribed by policy.
- Monitor the maintenance and operations of all banking transactions to ensure that adequate funds are available all times to cover operations.
- Prepare regular project reimbursement, billing requests and accompanying financial reports for submission.
Preferred Skills and Prerequisites
- University degree in Accounting
- Experience as a Finance Assistant and understanding of key aspects of accounting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel spreadsheets or comparable software.
- A 2-3 years’ experience in implementing accounting functions
- Capacity to deal with multiple tasks and be able to adhere to tight deadlines, and excellent time management skills.
- Ability to use basic accounting software
- Written and verbal proficiency in English
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- A proven team player.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems
(2+) years of experience and bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.